db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Wanted: Working example of JDBC4 Annotations.
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:33:57 GMT
Hi Siegfried,

This is a bit confusing. Sun decided to distribute Apache Derby and
call it JavaDB. The bits you download from the JavaDB site and the
bits you get already installed when you install Sun's Java SE 6 JDK
and the bits you can download from the Apache Derby site are the same
(modulo release levels and documentation). [Also, Sun will offer
support for the JavaDB bits but not the Apache Derby bits.]

more below.

On Jul 17, 2007, at 8:52 AM, sieg wrote:

> Could you tell me more about javaDB? I did a google search and found
> http://developers.sun.com/javadb/ and I see a download button.
>
> Is it the same as the apache derby that I already downloaded and
> installed?

yes.

> It also says "Now in Java 6". Since I have java 6 installed, do I
> have it
> installed twice?

yes.

> When I tried to figure out how to start the server process for Java
> DB (I
> figured there must be a server process unlike Microsoft Access) I
> clicked on
> the quick start link and discovered I'm back to apache derby which
> I already
> have installed (quite seperately from Java 6) and running.

If you're happy with the Apache Derby installation then there is no
need to install or use the JavaDB either from download or from Java
SE 6 JDK.

Regards,

Craig