db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Connection Refused - Database <db> Not Found
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:15:13 GMT
Mike.May@shell.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Java, JSP, Eclipse, Derby and Tomcat but have a strong background in software
development so shouldn't be this stuck ...

> I'm working through the Eclipse tutorial 'Creating Database Web Applications with Eclipse'.
 Here's a summary of my configuration:

> JSP code for JSTL tags says:  <sql:setDataSource dataSource="jdbc/SampleDB">
> context.xml has a Resource tag with name="jdbc/SampleDB" and url="jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/SAMPLE"
> Data Source Explorer confirms that Derby contains a DB called SAMPLE.
> SQL File Editor can connect to the SAMPLE DB and update it.
>
> When I run my JSP page, I get the following error:  The connection was refused because
the database SAMPLE was not found.

> Running Eclipse 3.3.0, Tomcat 6.0.13 and Derby 10.2.2 on JDK 1.6.0.
> Appreciate any help you can give me.
>
> Mike

Often this problem is because the default directory being used by
Network Server (NS) does not contain the database (in this case
SAMPLE).  If you start Network Server while cd'd to the directory
containing SAMPLE or specify 'java -Dderby.system.home=<dir-with-SAMPLE>
...'  on the command line starting Network Server then NS will be able
to find the DB with the URL you are using.