db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: ConnectionPoolDataSource - does it actually do pooling?
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2007 10:42:40 GMT
David Van Couvering wrote:
> I could check this out myself, but time is limited, and I thought
> someone might have a quick answer.
>
> On the Phobos (JavaScript in Glassfish) email list, the following
> statement is made:
>
> "in Apache Derby there is a regular data source class
> (org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDataSource) which does not pool
> connections, but there's also a data source class with connection
> pooling (org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientConnectionPoolDataSource). In the
> preconfigured Phobos data sources we use the latter, so connection
> pooling is on by default"
>
> I thought ConnectionPoolDataSource *enabled* pooling but did not
> actually *do* it.  Does it actually do connection pooling?

No.

I haven't checked this lately, but I can't remember any activity in this
area. You will need a connection pool from elsewhere. I am not familiar
with connection pool products, but I know Apache has an initiative;
Commons DBCP. I do not know if this is ready-to-go, or just a framework
to write your own. Does anyone have more information on this?

regards,
--
Kristian