db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: Performance question
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:53:03 GMT
> footprint, and is Java-based.  I have been testing Derby to see how it
> performs storing large amounts of data in this environment, and I've
> seen a slight degradation of performance over time.  I'm using Derby

Hi Steve, I think this is very interesting data.

Can you run your experiment out farther, say to 2M, 5M, or 10M rows?

Can you characterize the overall behavior of the machine during the
experiment? What is the CPU load like? What is the disk load like?
How does the Derby memory profile look? Do any of these things appear
to change as the experiment goes on?

Lastly, can you try your experiment with Derby 10.3, which is in beta
testing now? There were a lot of performance changes in 10.3, although
nothing that was specifically targeted at exactly your scenario.

I think there could be a lot of possible explanations of the behavior
you're seeing.

On the other hand, starting with a completely fresh system and seeing
only a 8% slowdown as it gets dirty is, overall, pretty good, don't you think?

thanks,

bryan