db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Any problems to run derby in USB drive ?
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2007 18:38:50 GMT
This leads me to believe that these drives are not correctly supporting
sync to disk as required by derby.  Derby uses java to sync the data and
log files when necessary.  If the devices don't correctly respond to
these requests then a number of different types of corruption:
checksum errors
mismatched index/base tables because log and data syncing not correctly
coordinated

My guess is that device driver for the usb device responds to a write
sync immediately before actually forcing the data to the device.  This
is similar to the problem of setting "write cache enabled" on windows.
Derby can not guarantee a consistent database under these conditions.

/mikem