db-derby-user mailing list archives

From V.Naraya...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: Any problems to run derby in USB drive ?
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2007 10:49:06 GMT
V.Narayanan@Sun.COM wrote:

> Ivan Ooi wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>>    I wanted to deploy my App with Derby in USB drive but I'm not sure
>> is there any restrictions or not ? or problems ?
>>
>> Thanks
>

> Hi,
>
> I have tried copying the jre(for the operating system of the machine
> into which you will plug in the USB drive),
> derby.jar, derbytools.jar into a USB and tried to create a database,
> create tables, insert data etc, and it worked
> fine for me.
>
> I noticed it was a bit slow, possible because it is doing IO to the
> USB disk.
>
> I used my creative muvo mp3 player which also doubles up as  USB.
>
> I haven't tried any serious testing though.
>
> I just did it as a casual exercise.
>
> Narayanan

I did something a little bit more interesting. I had two machines one
running
solaris and another linux. I copied derby.jar, derbytools.jar and the
jre's for both the
OS in my USB. I created the database and the tables in one OS, shutdown
the database
and tried opening it in another OS. I tried it both ways

create in solaris, open in linux
create in linux, open solaris.

It worked fine in this case.

As mentioned earlier I did not do any serious testing.

While doing this you just have to remember to boot the database
each time with the appropriate jre inside the USB.

I thought it would be interesting if I could find a mechanism by which I
could choose the correct jre automatically, but never got to doing that.

Thought this information might be useful to you,

Narayanan