db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: any plans for mvcc?
Date Sat, 07 Jul 2007 19:28:06 GMT
> Is there currently any plans for multi-version concurrency control for
> a future release of Derby? If so what is the rough timeframe?

I haven't heard of anyone working on such a feature, but we're always
interested in getting more people to join the community and participate
in adding more features to Derby! http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_comm.html

> The pessimistic locking mechanism currently employed by Derby makes it
> harder to scale application built on Derby and can easily cause
> deadlocks. It's hard to support multiple users for Derby with this
> concurrency control.

Many very sophisticated large-scale applications have been built over
the last 40 years using this model, and Derby contains a rich set of
the basic features necessary to build such applications:
  - multiple isolation levels
  - update-mode locks
  - row-level and table-level locking
  - LOCK table statement
etc. See this page for more information:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/devguide/cdevconcepts30291.html

It is true that you have to take these issues into account during
application design and implementation, but I believe you can successfully
build highly scalable applications which support multiple users with
a high degree of concurrency using the current Derby feature set.

thanks,

bryan