db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bill Robertson <b...@tekbot.com>
Subject What is the recommended way to page result sets?
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2007 12:17:49 GMT
First off, I would like to categorically state that Apache Derby is one
of the most fantastic things to come down the pike in Java's history.  I
make sure to push it whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Thanks to everybody.

I am working on a not too complicated gui program with an embedded derby
store.  If the program stays in service long enough, I can see some of
the queries returning result sets on the order of several thousand rows.

My initial idea is to use a scrollable result set, grab the first chunk,
close the result set, display them, and if the user asks for more,
repeat the query, advance n rows (ResultSet.relative()), and repeat.

If I do this, will Derby begin to fetch rows as soon as I execute the
query, and I will therefore waste a lot of time?  Does skipping rows
involve reading them all?  i.e. is that a linear operation?  Is there a
better way to do this?

Thanks