db-derby-user mailing list archives

From <de...@segel.com>
Subject RE: Sum of time
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2007 12:51:44 GMT

There are a couple of ways of doing this.

You could store the duration in milliseconds and then have a "duration"
column which is an alpha numeric representation of the duration.

On an after insert/update trigger you would take the number being stored,
and convert it in to the hours:minutes:seconds format via a store procedure,
then store it in your second column.

One column for mathematics use and one for human reporting use.

Or you could try and figure out if Crystal reports will let you reformat a
value from the database so you don't have to store the human readable form.
(I haven't looked at crystal reports in *ages* but I'm pretty sure that they
should have some control over formatting of data from the database.

HTH

-G