db-derby-user mailing list archives

From David Leader <dp...@udcf.gla.ac.uk>
Subject Basic query on deploying embedded Derby
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2007 18:02:49 GMT
Apologies from a newbie, but I cannot find how to do what I want in the archives
or docs, despite spending some considerable time looking. What I want ultimately
is to distribute a Java GUI app that allows users to make predefined queries of
a 20MB db - currently on MySQL, but to be ported to Derby.

I am working on Mac OSX-style unix, but distribute for Windows as well.

As a first stage towards this I have been using toy/demo applications and
databases in Derby. I have managed to put my app class files and the contents
of the derby.jar in a jar file with an appropriate manifest, so that if I run
this either from the command line or by double-clicking it works - as long as
my toy database in the same directory. However if I move my toy database inside
the jar file it is not found.

I could, of course distribute a jar and a dB, but I'd like to wrap it all as one
application. (I'm used to making .app files for the Mac using Apple's Jar
Bundler and and .exe files for Windows using exe4j, but Jar Bundler doesn't
want to take the db directory.)

Can anyone tell me how to go about packaging the java app, the derby.jar and my
own database for distribution?