Hi Bill,

If you are using glassfish,  you can use the cli command start-db and that will be default allow access from any system.

By default, Derby only allows access to the IP you started the server from.

if you are using the scripts to start the server you can specify the -h 0.0.0.0 to allow access from any system.  The -h option

If you do not want to use the glassfish cli, you can try the following:

$DERBY_HOME/bin/startNetworkServer <-h myhost> [-p <port>]

java -jar $DERBY_HOME/lib/derbyrun.jar server start <-h myhost> [-p <port>]

Do you really want to enable authentication?  If so, i can help you.  Otherwise,  The user name that you specify at login will be used for the schema and the password
is ignored.  Usually this is enough for testing.

For authentication, you can use following properties

- derby.connection.requireAuthentication=true

- derby.authentication.provider=BUILTIN

- derby.user.jdbc=jdbc

These web pages will show you how to set these and provide more detail.
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/tuning/rtunproper27467.html
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/tuning/rtunproper13766.html
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/tuning/rtunproper27355.html
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/devguide/cdevcsecure864692.html
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/devguide/rdevcsecure557.html

hth

-lance
Bill Shannon wrote:
I'm trying to use derby and I'm having a terrible time navigating
the documentation.  I can't find simple answers to things that I
think should be simple.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

Here's what I want to do...

I want to start the server as a network server and allow connections
from other machines.

I want to configure a username and password for connecting to the server.

I want to create a database in the server.

I figured there would be command line tools that would allow me to do all
of that, but the tools that exist are very primitive and I can't figure
out how to do anything but start (and stop) the server.

Once I get the above done, my program can take over and create and
populate the tables, but I need a simple way to do the above.

Where should I be looking?

Thanks for any help!

    Bill

P.S.  I'm using the version of derby that comes with JDK 1.6, in case
it matters.