Yes, that is correct.  I am dealing with many CHAR and VARCHAR db fields and I'm mapping them to Strings.  RTRIM works very well but I was hoping to find somewhat of a more global solution.

I have no problem sticking to RTRIM, however, and I appreciate your support.

Sebastian

On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 11:25 -0700, Stanley Bradbury wrote:
Sebastian Niezgoda wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed that Derby does not trim any excess space on SELECT
> statements.  I'm using iBatis to map sql to Java objects thus I am
> forced to change my queries to trim.  Is there an easier way to do
> this?  Is there a global setting I can use when creating/connecting to
> Derby or something along those lines?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sebastian
Hi -
I'm guessing you mean 'does not trim trailing space from the data values
returned'.  Derby should do this for VARCHAR fields but doesn't for
fixed length datatypes.  What datatypes are you retrieving and are you
performing conversions or concatenations in your select statements?