db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: How to shutdown with authentication
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2007 09:39:10 GMT
"Calvin (Yu-Hui) Liu" <koifans@shaw.ca> writes:

> Hi, Leonard,
>
> I'm new to derby so maybe this is a stupid question for you: why do
> you want to use derby, especially use it as a network service? In
> another word, what's the use case of you? It's reasonable for me to
> use it as embedded db. But as long as we have more mature db like
> mysql, I can't understand that. Could you please give me some clue?

I can't answer for Leonard, obviously. But it could be beacuse:

A) He wants to embed the db in a java app, but also let
remote clients connect.

B) It may because he wants to be sure that the DB runs anywhere Java
runs.

C) Maybe he needs to deploy his DB server on many different machines
and likes that fact that he only needs to install a couple of jar
files

D) Maybe he cannot use MySQL's dual GPL/commercial licence for some
reason.

--
dt