db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Petrula, Dan" <DPetr...@thezenith.com>
Subject RE: How to shutdown with authentication
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2007 18:02:01 GMT

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM [mailto:Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM]
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2007 2:39 AM
To: Derby Discussion
Subject: Re: How to shutdown with authentication

"Calvin (Yu-Hui) Liu" <koifans@shaw.ca> writes:

> Hi, Leonard,
>
> I'm new to derby so maybe this is a stupid question for you: why do
> you want to use derby, especially use it as a network service? In
> another word, what's the use case of you? It's reasonable for me to
> use it as embedded db. But as long as we have more mature db like
> mysql, I can't understand that. Could you please give me some clue?

I can't answer for Leonard, obviously. But it could be beacuse:

A) He wants to embed the db in a java app, but also let remote clients
connect.

B) It may because he wants to be sure that the DB runs anywhere Java
runs.

C) Maybe he needs to deploy his DB server on many different machines and
likes that fact that he only needs to install a couple of jar files

D) Maybe he cannot use MySQL's dual GPL/commercial licence for some
reason.

--
dt

NOTICE:
This e-mail, including attachments, contains information that may be  confidential,  protected
by the attorney/client or other privileges, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
Further, this e-mail may contain information that is proprietary and/or constitutes a trade
secret. This e-mail, including attachments, constitutes non-public information intended to
be conveyed only to the designated recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient of this
communication, please be advised that any disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying,
or other use of this communication or any attached document is strictly prohibited.  If you
have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and promptly destroy all electronic and printed copies of this communication and any attached
documents.