db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Lance J. Andersen" <Lance.Ander...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Questions about ij> connect
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2007 12:01:07 GMT

John Embretsen wrote:
> Bryan Pendleton wrote:
>
>>> Once I've created a schema, how do I specify it for the connect
>>> ...;create=true command, or how do I set it for subsequent commands
>>> while using ij?
>>
>> There is a SET SCHEMA statement you can use:
>> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/ref/rrefsqlj32268.html
>
> Also, be aware of default schemas and implicit schema creation, a
> common source of confusion. From FAQ 5.3 [1]:
>
> "The current schema for any connection defaults to a schema
> corresponding to the user name. If no user name is supplied then the
> user name (and hence current schema) defaults to APP.
>
> However even though the current schema is set to the user name, that
> schema may not exist. A schema is only created by CREATE SCHEMA or
> creating an object (table etc.) in that schema (this is implicit
> schema creation)."

This point is key as I know until i did a deep dive based on what i saw
with the Netbeans explorer, i did not really think about the schema
getting created until the object for that user name (when create schema
was not used) occurs.

We should probably open a JIRA to clarify when the schema is created in
more explict detail