db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: How to shutdown with authentication
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2007 06:51:18 GMT
Leonard Sitongia wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've enabled user connection authentication in my standalone network derby
> server on Linux.  I think that one of the manuals said that in this case the
> stopNetworkServer should be configured to use authentication.  But, I don't
> see how do to this.  Any, searching the documents mailing list seems to
> suggest that it cannot be done, but needs to be done in order to make the
> startup cleaner the next time.

The only place I know of in the manuals that covers this is in the Derby Server
and Administration guide, in the section called "Shutting down the Network
Server", which says:

"If user authentication is enabled, you must explicitly shut down the database
before shutting down the Network Server by specifying a valid Derby user name
and password."

This means that one should shut down the database from a Java app or ij before
running the server shutdown command in order to do a clean shutdown.

If you have a reference to a place in the manuals saying that the
stopNetworkServer script should be configured in the case of user
authentication, please let me know.

Thanks,

--
John