db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Questions about ij> connect
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:54:35 GMT
Leonard Sitongia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of questions about using the ij command (Linux) for connect.
>
> How do I create a schema?
>
> It seems like I should create a schema before I create any databases, but I
> need to connect to a database before I can do anything, right?  What, then,
> are the steps to create a schema using ij?
>
> How do I specify a schema when creating a database?
>
> Once I've created a schema, how do I specify it for the
> connect ...;create=true command, or how do I set it for subsequent commands
> while using ij?
>
> Thanks for your help!

Hi -

A Derby database schema can be thought of a partitioning or grouping of
related tables within a database.  Therefore a schema exists within a
context of a database, not the other way around.  Something that helped
me to better understand this is the fact that a Derby database has a set
of system table (including SYS.SYSSCHEMAS) and a schema does not.
Another concept of note is that the schema name is part of the table
identifier.  It defaults properly when the default schema is set to that
of table.  Schemas are simply a way of organizing/grouping tables in a
Derby system - you can join tables across shemas if you have the proper
permissions (more an issue when using 10.2 and 10.3  than earlier releases.

HTN