db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: Derby, JUnit, Ant and fork
Date Tue, 26 Jun 2007 14:37:56 GMT
> My tests pass when run in Eclipse. However, when I run them in Ant I see
> errors like this:
>
> Another instance of Derby may have already booted the database

Only a single JVM at a time can access a Derby embedded database.
However, you can shutdown the Derby embedded system from the
first JVM, then subsequently access Derby from a separate JVM.

There is a .lck file that you can observe to verify that the shutdown
is occurring.

You can find some good information about this aspect of Derby here:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/devguide/cdevdvlp27610.html

Perhaps it is Eclipse itself that is holding Derby open, or perhaps
your tests are not fully shutting down Derby at the end?

If you exit Eclipse prior to running your Ant tests, is the behavior different?

thanks,

bryan