db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: tuning large numbers of of insert/updates
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2007 01:21:10 GMT
Jon Tirsen wrote:
> I'm looking for advise on tuning import-style transactions with large
> numbers of inserts and updates. Except for the usual (auto commit off,
> prepared statements) I can find very little in the online
> documentation. For example: Will JDBC batching give any benefits when
> using an embedded server? Is there some way of temporarily suspending
> index updating? Any other suggestions? Any online resources to look
> at?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Cheers,
> Jon
>

> ----
> New from ThoughtWorks: Mingle, an Agile project management application.
> Mingle. Project Intelligence. Powerfully Simple.
> More at http://studios.thoughtworks.com

Hi Jon -
I haven't tested batching statements with the embedded driver but I
can't imagine it would hurt.  If you test this would you please post
your results to the list?

As you suggested, for large quantity inserts dropping the indexes then
recreating them after the process completes can help.  Using the IMPORT
procedure is also a good way to perform inserts.  Much of the work
performed involved with large quantity inserts and updates is space
allocation.  This can minimized by preallocating space for the table by
setting these properties before the table(s) is/are created:

derby.storage.initialPages
derby.storage.pageReservedSpace

HTH