db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Passing parameters via environment properties a bad design
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2007 07:57:56 GMT
chihiro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm programmatically starting my Network servers & I just want to say:
> having to pass configuration info via System properties is not good design.
> I'm trying to redirect the output that's going to derby.log to different
> files & having to define derby.stream.error.method before each call to the
> constructor of NetworkServerControl makes me cringe. Just my $0.02.

Thank you for posting your opinion, I think Derby developers appreciate any
constructive feedback they can get. If you have a suggestion as to how this
could be done differently, please create a JIRA issue [1] or send an E-mail to
the derby-dev mailing list [2].

Also, I'm not sure I fully understand your reasoning. Are you saying that you
are starting multiple network servers from the same JVM?

I acknowledge that using system properties for configuration may not always be
the best approach, but it would be good to have (and understand) a specific and
real use case showing why (and possibly what the alternatives would be).

--
John

[1] http://db.apache.org/derby/binaries/FilingDerbyIssuesInJira.pdf
[2] http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_mail.html