db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Bernt.John...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: User/password encryption and deployment
Date Sat, 16 Jun 2007 16:43:51 GMT
> [...]
> > There is, however small issue, if you choose
> > ENCRYPTED_USER_AND_PASSWORD_SECURITY, newer Sun JCE's (from 1.4, I
> > think) does not support the shared DHS value defined in the DRDA
> > protocol. It's too weak. As an alternative solution for passsword
> > protection, Francois implemented STRONG_PASSWORD_SUBSTITUTE_SECURITY.
>
> Define "too weak".

"Too week" in the sense that the JCE throws an exception and says that
it does not support it due to the "shortness" (sorry, I don't remember
the exact details on a saturday after a few beers in the sun ;-).

> [...]
>
> Is Sun and/or the community going to support DRDA for Derby/JavaDB?

Derby use DRDA as the client/server protocol. I don't think there
exist any initaitives to change that.

Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway