db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Bernt.John...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: syntax for column names
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2007 14:08:56 GMT
09:04:30):
> Hi
>
> I have a legacy DB2 table which has a special character like '#' in the
> column name like ACCT#. I am using derby for in-memory unit testing. Derby
> does not allow me to have a special character like '#' in the column name
> in my create table statement.  Is there anyway to escape the special
> character so that I can have special characters in column names.
> I would really appreciate any help in this regard.

No porblem. Just use quotes. E.g.:

ij> create table "ACCT#" ("#1" int);
0 rows inserted/updated/deleted
ij> insert into "ACCT#" values(1),(2);
2 rows inserted/updated/deleted
ij> select * from "ACCT#" where "#1" > 1;
-----------
2

1 row selected
ij>

This behaviour is according to the SQL standard.

> Thanks
> Saad Khawaja
> Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in and transmitted with this communication
is strictly confidential, is intended only for the use of the intended recipient, and is the
property of Countrywide Financial Corporation or its affiliates and subsidiaries. If you are
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use of the information contained
in or transmitted with the communication or dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited by law. If you have received this communication in error,
please immediately return this communication to the sender and delete the original message
and any copy of it in your possession.

Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway