db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Williamson, Nick" <nick_william...@mentor.com>
Subject Deferrable constraints
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2007 08:18:22 GMT
Hi all,

I'm migrating an Oracle schema to the Derby environment. In Oracle, all
my FK constraints are defined as INITIALLY DEFERRED DEFERRABLE, which
means that the validation checking isn't performed until commit time. If
I have parent table "A" and child table "B", I can create a row in table
B first, then create a row in table A (in the same transaction) and the
commit will be successful. Derby doesn't support INITIALLY DEFERRED
DEFERRABLE and the validation seems to be performed immediately by
default. Is there a way to over-ride this behaviour and emulate what I
had in my Oracle environment?

TIA
Nick