db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Bob Durie" <bob.du...@thirdbrigade.com>
Subject query complexity error ERROR 42ZA0
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2007 21:10:54 GMT
Hi All,

Under some extreme circumstances, our application is seeing this error:

ERROR 42ZA0: Statement too complex. Try rewriting the query to remove
complexity. Eliminating many duplicate expressions or breaking up the
query and storing interim results in a temporary table can often help
resolve this error.

                at
org.apache.derby.iapi.error.StandardException.newException(Unknown
Source)

                at
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.compile.StatementNode.generate(Unknown Source)

                at
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericStatement.prepMinion(Unknown Source)

                at
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.GenericStatement.prepare(Unknown Source)

                at
org.apache.derby.impl.sql.conn.GenericLanguageConnectionContext.prepareI
nternalStatement(Unknown Source)

                at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement.<init>(Unknown Source)

                at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement20.<init>(Unknown
Source)

                at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedPreparedStatement30.<init>(Unknown
Source)

                at
org.apache.derby.jdbc.Driver30.newEmbedPreparedStatement(Unknown Source)

                at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.prepareStatement(Unknown
Source)

                at
org.apache.derby.impl.jdbc.EmbedConnection.prepareStatement(Unknown
Source)

Is it documented anywhere what exactly causes this error?  Our
application supports different data sources, so we need to have some
sort of "testable" circumstances so we can catch this before it happens.
I can generate this error doing a SELECT .. WHERE ID IN of over 925
integer IDs, but it is not easily reproducible in our application.  Any
insight would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Bob