Hi Dan,
    It looks like the url you're using from the client isn't quite right.  For a client/server url you want the logical database name in the url after the port and not the path to the database.

    So a single server can support multilple databases.  What you'll want to try is something like

    jdbc:derby://192.168.1.99:1527/apolloDB;create=true

    instead of

    jdbc:derby://192.168.1.99:1527/usr/local/derby/database/apolloDB

    This too will create the db for you if it does not already exist.