Most drivers try and let the server side handle this so what gets passed across the wire is the rows that meet the specified limit.  This is what we did in jConnect for example.

When this limit actually occurs could depend on how the backend applies it and the type of query (for example if you have a sort specified)...

Francois Orsini wrote:
I thought it would not as it is bound to the resultset (client-side) versus actual processing on the database engine side. I mean, if I only want the first 10 rows that qualifies some query, I don't want to have 1 million rows returned from the database engine ( e.g. server) as part of my resultset - LIMIT is something that database users like due to the fact that rows qualification and footprint is impacted from  the database engine layer and level, not on the client side (I mean if I only want 10 rows, there shouldn't be more than that in the actual resultset.