db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: question on Working with JavaDB Activities
Date Thu, 03 May 2007 10:52:58 GMT
Joe Annoni <jannoni@yahoo.com> writes:

> Couple of novice questions here (your help is much
> appreciated!):
>
> 1) While going through the "Working with JavaDB" pdf
> in Step 2 of Activity 3 (ie, page 14), I'm getting a
> command line error of "'javac' is not recognized as an
> internal or external command...".  I presume there is
> a problem with my JAVA_HOME path, but I've changed it
> from the "java/j2re1.4.2_03" directory (which has
> worked for everything else) to "java/jdk1.6.0" (where
> the 'javac.exe' file exists) and still nothing.  Is
> there somewhere else where the 'javac' command should
> be picked up?

I don't know Windows very well, so there could be some
Windows-specific issues here, but in general you need to modify PATH
(or equivalent) for your command shell in order for it to find an
executable. javac.exe is no different from any other program in this
regard.

> 2) Separately, I compiled the WwdEmbedded.java file in
> an IDE (JCreator) and when I trying executing it I get
> "ClassNotFoundException:
> org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver".  I understand
> this may be a CLASSPATH problem, however when I check
> %classpath% it shows it pointing to the 'derby.jar'
> and 'derbytools.jar' files.  Any other common problems
> or suggestions?

Again, I don't know JCreator, but what little experience I have with
IDE's suggest that they frequently require you to add external libs
that you want to use (such as derby.jar) to your project. Usually
through some add-library or add-to-classpath dialog...

--
dt