db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Petrula, Dan" <DPetr...@thezenith.com>
Subject RE: Password Authentication Failure
Date Thu, 24 May 2007 16:49:20 GMT
I have been working with Derby for about a year in the embedded mode, so
I am not unfamilar with the product. I looked at the FAQ about the
schema exists
error. I have created a simple table and populated it. I created the
database in two different configuarations . One without a name and
password upon creation and
one with. The client is a Windows machine running XP and the server is
linux running Red Hat, connected by a LAN using TCP/IP.

I can connect to the database and select the data in the table without
problem under both database configurations. If I set
'derby.connection.requireAuthentication=true',
then I cannot connect at all to the database created without a
name/password even using 'APP' and even adding 'derby.user.dan=danpass'
in the derby.properties
file. I can connect and select in the database created with a user
name/password as long as I use that name/password combination. If I add
another name in the
derby.properties file, using derby.authentication.provider=BUILTIN I
cannot connnect and get the Schema error.

The connection statement is as follows:

Properties prop = new Properties();
prop.set("user","dan");
prop.set("password","danpass");

String driver = "org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver";
String dbURL =
"jdbc:derby://192.168.1.99:1527/usr/local/derby/database/secondDB";

Class.forName(driver).newInstance();
conn=DriverManager.getConnection(dbURL,prop);

I removed the statement 'derby.connection.requireAuthenticaion=true'
from the properties file and added it to the database directly using the
'call' statement.
I also added a few names using this method both using ij utility. The
database then required a user/name password, but the names I added were
not recognized when
I attempted to connect after changing my Properties object to those
names. I still got the same schema error.

I am at loss as to what to do or try next.

Dan