db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Petrula, Dan" <DPetr...@thezenith.com>
Subject TROUBLE CONNECTING TO SERVER USING CLIENT DRIVER
Date Thu, 10 May 2007 20:51:29 GMT
I have a linux server running Redhat ES4 and have Derby 10.2.2.0
installed. I can access the database at the server using the ij tool.
The server is on a lan with an ip address of 192.168.1.99. I can start
the Derby server using either the ip address and port 1527 or using
0.0.0.0 and port 1527 and successfully ping it using the Derby tool on
the linux machine.

However, I can't reach the linux server from a Windows XP machine on the
lan running  the ClientDriver. I can reach the Apache web server on the
linux machine and ping the linux server from the Windows computer so I
know the connection is there.

The Derby database on the linux server is installed at
/usr/local/derby/database/apolloDB.  My code on the Windows client
machine is as follows:
String driver = "org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver";
String dbURL =
"jdbc:derby://192.168.1.99:1527/usr/local/derby/database/apolloDB";

java.util.Properties prop = new java.util.Properties();
prop.setProperty("derby.system.home","/usr/local/derby/database");
prop.setProperty("user","dan");
prop.setProperty("password","starman");

Class.forName(driver).newInstance();

conn=DriverManager.getConnection(dbURL,prop);

My derby.properties file is in directory on the server
/usr/local/derby/database

derby.connection.requiredAuthentication=true
derby.authentication.provider=BUILTIN
derby.user.dan=starman

I get the message  at the client machine

'SQLException java.net.NoRouteToHostException: Error connection to
server 192.168.1.99 on port 1527 with message No route to host:connect.'

At the Windows client machine I used a windows utility to ping both the
host and the port. I could successfully ping the Apache Webserver
getting port 80, but
not the Derby server. Maybe because the Derby server requires a password
when connecting from an external source, I don't know.
Anyone have any suggestions? I have run out of ideas..

NOTICE:
This e-mail, including attachments, contains information that may be  confidential,  protected
by the attorney/client or other privileges, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
Further, this e-mail may contain information that is proprietary and/or constitutes a trade
secret. This e-mail, including attachments, constitutes non-public information intended to
be conveyed only to the designated recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient of this
communication, please be advised that any disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying,
or other use of this communication or any attached document is strictly prohibited.  If you
have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and promptly destroy all electronic and printed copies of this communication and any attached
documents.