db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Jim McNamara <thirdshiftco...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Fwd: license question
Date Mon, 28 May 2007 01:12:06 GMT
Damian and Michael

please see <inline>

Damian C <jamianb@gmail.com> wrote: Jim,
This can be tricky. I am not a lawyer - but this is my understanding
of the situation.
I don't know what fatjar is, so I do not know it's licenses. I use
Hibernate and Derby (and plenty of others).

Typically Hibernate (LPGL type licenses) allow you to freely use their
code in your work (including commercial work). However, typically you
should acknowledge their work. This does not need to be in your source
code - but it is typically done in "Help - About" in your application.

 Note that Hibernate relies on many other libraries - each with their
own licences - each of which you need to comply.  The good news is
that they have similar license to Hibernate itself,so the "Help -
About" is the appropriate place.

<inline>
re: the other libraries included with hibernate - that was a question in my mind that i didnt
ask and you just answered it.  thanks very much :-)
<end>

The LPGL license is to stop you from taking the Hibernate code, and
calling it "JimBernate" - and perhaps selling it as your own under
some non open source commercial license.

Derby is a different license - although it is somewhat similar to
LGPL.  So you are free to USE the libraries, but not to DERIVE other
work from it.

<inline>
i just USE them.  that is cool.  oh.... i just saw michael segels
post on this thread.  it is definitely good to know but there will
be no derby db knock off.  thanks Micahel.
<end>

GPL licenses are more "severe" in that you can use the library as long
as your work (your new project) is licensed also under GPL.  So I (or
anyone else on the planet) would be able to take your project and make
my own derivation - which in turn (by the terms of the GPL license)
must also be GPL. Hence GPL is "viral".

I don't use any GPL, but I believe that you must essentially publish
your code in some form to comply with the GPL license.  Perhaps in
your About-Help you have a URL for a website that holds a zip of the
code or something.

<inline>
that is what i guessed too.  <drat>
<end>

Hope this helps ...
-Damian

Damian,
thank you very much.  i will keep this with my increasing resources
on licenses and copyright info. i am getting an education on all of
this. it really has helped me.