db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Jim McNamara <thirdshiftco...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: license
Date Mon, 28 May 2007 01:51:35 GMT
Damian - please see inline

Damian C <jamianb@gmail.com> wrote: Jim,
I should/could have said it more clearly earlier - but to clarify now
(to the best of my NON lawyer's knowledge) ...

Hibernate is LGPL. You are entitled to use (link to) the LIBRARIES
(hibernate3.jar etc) in your application, but I believe you can't use
the source code itself..  Using hibernate in your application does NOT
mean Hibernate now has the GPL license. You have no right to change
their (LGPL) license.

<inline>
 Damian - i think section 3 of distribution terms of the LGPL says i can.
 Hibernate can be licensed under either or i think according to
 the sourceforge project page summary for hibernate.
 are you sure?

i believe the way i read it is you dont mix as because the L is for less -
and you cant have it both ways.

 i am still watching and listening.
 thanks again,
 jim
 <end>

So Hibernate etc is still LGPL. Your app will be GPL because by using
a GPL library you have automatically agreed to make your app GPL as
well.

I have never mixed GPL and LGPL so I do not know the issues. I can't
imagine it being a problem, but I don't know.

(We are all learning something here!!!)
-Damian

Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect.  Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay it on
us.