db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Adam Bovill" <abov...@fnfr.com>
Subject RE: Embedded thread taking 100% cpu
Date Wed, 30 May 2007 17:06:44 GMT
Hi Bryan,

Maybe we are giving it more work than it can handle, but once it starts
taking 100% of the CPU for any length of time, we immediately stop
giving it any work.  It then sits at 100% cpu for hours and never
recovers.

Adam

-----Original Message-----
From: Bryan Pendleton [mailto:bpendleton@amberpoint.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 9:43 AM
To: Derby Discussion
Subject: Re: Embedded thread taking 100% cpu

> Basically, the program runs those commands over and over and over
> again.  At some point the derby thread starts to spin.

Perhaps you are just giving your system more work than it can handle.

It sounds like you have some sort of a benchmark in place, and you
are running it, looking for problems (which is a great technique!).

If so, can you configure your benchmark so that you can adjust the
"scale" factor in some fashion? Then start with a relatively small
scale, verify that your system is healthy at that level, and then
begin ratcheting up the scale until you start to see trouble.

thanks,

bryan