db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Luan O'Carroll <lu...@xoetrope.com>
Subject Re: Users authentication - design problem
Date Thu, 31 May 2007 09:13:01 GMT
I'm doing something similar with a business application.

There's nothing stopping the user "accidentally" deleting the data on
the local machine either. If the password is held in the software then
it is insecure and can be easily cracked.

It would be better to store the data on a server and do an extract or
replicate to the local database, that way any loss of local data may not
be so disastrous.

At least the password could be stored on the server for later recovery
if necessary. Preferrably the password should not be stored anywhere on
the local machine

-Luan