db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Damian C" <jami...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: license
Date Mon, 28 May 2007 02:08:12 GMT
Absolutely correct in this case. I was clearly wrong.

As I have tried to make clear - I am not a lawyer - just someone who
is trying to help freely.  I'm not reviewing these licenses and
providing a legal opinion. I didn't go and read up on the LGPL clause
by clause.  I was trying to help Jim who (I guess) knew less than me
and was requesting help.

My point (which I wish I could have made more clearly) is that WE (me,
Jim, others) have no unilateral right to change THEIR (eg Hibernate
etc) license.  In this case THEIR (eg Hibernate's) LGPL license gives
the right to substitute a GPL.

We successfully use and comply with various license including LGPL,
Apache, CDDL, BSD etc.. I have never released anything with GPL so I'm
light on experience their.  I guess it shows!!

Cheers,
-Damian