db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com>
Subject Re: license
Date Mon, 28 May 2007 01:48:15 GMT
On Monday 28 May 2007 11:33:23 Damian C wrote:
> Jim,
> I should/could have said it more clearly earlier - but to clarify now
> (to the best of my NON lawyer's knowledge) ...
>
> Hibernate is LGPL. You are entitled to use (link to) the LIBRARIES
> (hibernate3.jar etc) in your application, but I believe you can't use
> the source code itself..  Using hibernate in your application does NOT
> mean Hibernate now has the GPL license. You have no right to change
> their (LGPL) license.

But what about this clause in the LGPL?

  3. You may opt to apply the terms of the ordinary GNU General Public License
     instead of this License to a given copy of the Library. To do this, you
     must alter all the notices that refer to this License, so that they refer
     to the ordinary GNU General Public License, version 2, instead of to this
     License.

This is clearly one way to make a mixed GPL/LGPL product -- change the licence
on all LGPL components to GPL.

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll