db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Michael Segel" <mse...@segel.com>
Subject RE: license question
Date Mon, 28 May 2007 00:57:01 GMT

[SNIP]license.

> Derby is a different license - although it is somewhat similar to
> LGPL.  So you are free to USE the libraries, but not to DERIVE other
> work from it.

No!
This is not correct.
Derby is licensed under the Apache license.

Its pretty much open. You can do pretty much anything you want, as long as
you attribute Apache somewhere in your code. (You'd have to see the
requirements...) But you are free to Derive and re-license the code...

This is why IBM likes Apache's licensing....

In theory, you could create a complete knock-off of Derby called Jimbo's DB
and as long as you properly attribute Apache/Derby, you're clean.

HTH

-Mike

PS. IANAL, but I spent far too much time with IBM's lawyers. ;-)