db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Bernt.John...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: maxrows - what does it really mean?
Date Mon, 14 May 2007 11:44:06 GMT
What David wants, is the feature rgistered in

> >Also, how is maxrows related to the fetch size of a ResultSet?
>
> As I understand it, the fetch size relates to the number of rows
> returned by the server to the client for each round trip to the
> database. So theoretically the two numbers are independent. There's
> no specified interaction except for the obvious one: requesting a
> fetch size exceeding the maxrows doesn't make sense since there will
> never be more than maxrows returned, and fetch size would effectively
> be ignored.

Fetch Size is in the JDBC spec defined to be an *optimization hint*
from the application to the driver. It has no semantic meaning
whatsoever, but may e.g. influence the number of rows prefetched per
roundtrip and thus influence the overall performance of your
application.

Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway