db-derby-user mailing list archives

From ehsavoie <emmanuel.hugon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can't shutdown cleanly
Date Mon, 14 May 2007 16:36:30 GMT

Bryan Pendleton wrote:

>> shutdown command fails if I try it through a network url (database not
>> found) or with an embeded url (java.sql.SQLTransientConnectionException:
>> Database 'ed' shutdown.)
>
> I don't know about the "database not found" part, but the shutdown command
> always throws an exception, so getting "Database 'ed' shutdown" is the
> correct behavior.
>
> If you shutdown the database before you shut down the Network Server,
> are you then able to restart the Network Server and the database
> successfully?
>
> thanks,
>
> bryan

Alas no :o((
I think it is dbcp that keeps some connections opened even if derby tried to
close them which would explain the CLOSE_WAIT state.
Since the connection pool is loaded through JNDI maybe it is not unising the
same classloader as the application context and it is not closed when I
shutdown or undeploy may webapp. I have tried to close explicitly the
BasicDataSource but it didn't work either.
I will try with a pool outside Tomcat to see if I have a similar problem
tomorrow.
Thanks for your help.
Emmanuel