db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Raymond Kroeker" <raym...@raykroeker.com>
Subject Re: Store very large Strings
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2007 18:31:59 GMT
Hi Ruben,
    The connection object has a setAutoCommit(boolean) api.  If you can
easily reference it and are not running within a transaction manager
framework set it to false for the method call.

    If your connections are pooled you'll also want to remember to turn it
back on after you're done.

Raymond

On 4/13/07, RĂºben Fonseca <rubenfonseca@di.uminho.pt> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 10:19 -0700, Kathey Marsden wrote:
> > Ruben Fonseca wrote:
> > >>

> > > Thank you! I didn't know about the CLOB type! However, I'm still
> having
> > > problems when *reading* from the CLOB.. When I call the
> > > ResultSet.getString on the CLOB I get a IOException thrown, when the
> > > String is large... Is this a known problem?
> > >

> > I am not sure if it would cause this exception but one thing that is
> > important when working with Clob/Blob is to have autocommit off, since
> > the object is only valid for the current transaction.
>
> Hi Kathey!
>
> I can only test this on Monday, but can you tell me if I can temporarily
> disable autocommit ? It will be a PITA to change all my app to handle
> manual commit right now :/
>
> Thanks
> Ruben

Raymond Kroeker