db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Derby Db tables returned in uppercase???
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2007 20:24:53 GMT
Hi Dustin,

Table and column names are called SQL identifiers and, according to the
SQL standard, they are case-insensitive. Like many databases, Derby
stores table and column names in uppercase.

You can get the behavior you want by double-quoting your table and
column names. If you double quote these identifiers, then Derby, like
other databases, will honor your casing. Here is some script output
which demonstrates this behavior.

Hope this helps,
-Rick

ij> drop table t;
0 rows inserted/updated/deleted
ij> drop table "t";
0 rows inserted/updated/deleted
ij> create table t( a int );
0 rows inserted/updated/deleted
ij> create table "t" ( "a" int );
0 rows inserted/updated/deleted
ij> insert into t( a ) values ( 1 );
1 row inserted/updated/deleted
ij> insert into "t" ( "a" ) values ( 2 );
1 row inserted/updated/deleted
ij> select * from t;
1

1 row selected