db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Store very large Strings
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2007 15:21:25 GMT

Ruben Fonseca wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 11:31 -0700, Raymond Kroeker wrote:
>
>>Hi Ruben,
>>    The connection object has a setAutoCommit(boolean) api.  If you
>>can easily reference it and are not running within a transaction
>>manager framework set it to false for the method call.
>>

> Ok, this really solved my problem. THANK YOU.
>
> Now my second question is: is this the expected behaviour? It is really
> necessary to disable AutoCommit when dealing with large BLOBs in Derby?
no, but jdbc and derby only guarantees the lifetime of a blob for the
current transaction so if your application
processes the whole blob before end of transaction then it should work.
The problem is that many applications tend to execute another statement
on the same connection before finishing with the blob, this other
statement causes the connection to commit under autocommit and leads
to inconsistent results as the application is now accessing an invalid
blob.