db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Øystein Grøvlen <Oystein.Grov...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [n00b] Recovering from program crashes
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2007 08:13:13 GMT
John C. Turnbull wrote:
> I have just started to use Derby for configuration data for an
> application and have found that whenever the app terminates unexpectedly
> then Derby will not start the next time I start the application as it
> complains that it’s already been opened.  At the moment, I need to
> reboot my machine to clear whatever flag/data is indicating that the
> database is still open.
>

> Is there a cleaner way to close the database?  Ideally my app would try
> to start Derby  and if it gets the error about it already being open
> then it would somehow clean up and close the database (that is if the
> application is not actually running in another instance already) and
> then open it properly.

Normally the lock file used to lock the database for concurrent access
by other applications, should be cleaned up automatically, but I seem to
recall that there have earlier been some discussions about platform
differences in this area.

What error do you get, exactly?
Which platform (OS and JVM version) are you running on?

--
Øystein