db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Thomas Dudziak" <tom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is DdlUtils good for transfering data from Oracle to Derby
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2007 03:49:22 GMT
On 4/18/07, Peter Neu <peter.neu@gmx.net> wrote:

> has anybody worked with DdlUtils, Derby and Oracle? I would like to transfer
> data from an Oracle DB to Derby is DdlUtils the right tool to use?

that more or less depends on two factors

* how much data
* the data types in Oracle

DdlUtils uses XML for expression the data, so millions of rows won't
really work.
As for the data types, if the Oracle db uses the standard types (e.g.
VARCHAR2, NUMBER, BLOB/CLOB), then you should be fine. If however it
also uses things like BFILE, then you'll need something more
sophisticated (though extending DdlUtils to handle that would be
relatively straightforward).

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Oracle itself has a tool to export
data in XML (though most likely using some hideous XML schema) which
you then could transform into something usable by e.g. DdlUtils.

> Problem is I also have some stored procedures which I need to port to Derby.
> Any chance of doing this?

If you have stored procedures in Java, then you might be able to port
them (manually), though they still tend to use Oracle-specific
features (non-standard JDBC).
If they are in PL/SQL or some other language, then you are out-of-luck
as far as automatic conversion is concerned. And I doubt that there is
a tool that can translate them (it would be like translating from one
programming language to another).

Tom