db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Ruben Fonseca <rubenfons...@di.uminho.pt>
Subject Re: Store very large Strings
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2007 15:51:53 GMT
On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 08:38 -0700, Bryan Pendleton wrote:
> > New trace :)
>
> Thanks Ruben!
>
> But we still don't seem to be getting down to the actual IOException.

Thank you too!

> I'm expecting to see a line that says:
>
> java.io.IOException: ...
>
> with the actual information and the actual stack trace of the
> IOException itself, but so far all we've seen is the wrapping
> SQLException instances.

Didn't the error "ERROR 40XD0: Container has been closed.:
java.io.IOException" helped? I found a lot of interesting things on this
error on Google. It seems I'm not the only one with this problem.

> I suspect the information about the root cause is in the IOException proper.
>
> Did you follow the stack trace all the way to the end (that is,
> until you got a NULL return from getNextException())?

Yes I've copied the code from the link you gave to me.

> If you did, perhaps you can bring your code up in a Java debugger
> and set a breakpoint when java.io.IOException is thrown?

Of course I can :) I'm using Eclipse so I breakpoint on both uncaught
IOException and SQLException. Here's the result:

First break on "IOException" stack:
Thread [main] (Suspended (exception IOException))
	OverflowInputStream.fillByteHolder() line: not available
	OverflowInputStream(BufferedByteHolderInputStream).read() line: not available
	FormatIdInputStream(DataInputStream).readUnsignedByte() line: 271
	SQLClob(SQLChar).readExternal(ObjectInput) line: not available
	SQLClob(SQLChar).getString() line: not available
	EmbedResultSet40(EmbedResultSet).getString(int) line: not available
	DBFile.<init>(int) line: 45
	FileClickListener.handleEvent(Event) line: 31
	EventTable.sendEvent(Event) line: 66
	Tree(Widget).sendEvent(Event) line: 1097
	Display.runDeferredEvents() line: 3238
	Display.readAndDispatch() line: 2905
	Gui.loop() line: 117
	Gui.main(String[]) line: 126

Second break on "SQLException" stack:
Thread [main] (Suspended (exception SQLException))
	EmbedResultSet40(EmbedResultSet).getString(int) line: not available
	DBFile.<init>(int) line: 45
	FileClickListener.handleEvent(Event) line: 31
	EventTable.sendEvent(Event) line: 66
	Tree(Widget).sendEvent(Event) line: 1097
	Display.runDeferredEvents() line: 3238
	Display.readAndDispatch() line: 2905
	Gui.loop() line: 117
	Gui.main(String[]) line: 126

> thanks,

>>From what I see from the traces it maybe doesn't help... Maybe I've to
attach sources to my JAR's to see the precise line where the exceptions
are happening. You tell me :)

Ruben