db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Tosurinchi <tosurin...@yahoo.com>
Subject Concurrency and locks in multi-user application
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2007 14:26:09 GMT

Hi guys,
I have a general question after getting a little lost in the documentation.
Please bear with me since I'm not database guru :)
I embed derby-10.2.2.0 in my application which basically work like this.
There is a single thread which inserts/deletes data into a single table.
There are many other threads (user sessions) which read from the same table.
This table can get quite large, and users read data by means of scrollable
result sets which I keep per user session. Kinda long conversation. I think
this is a pretty typical application and it works fine with other databases
I've tried so far - postgree, hsqdb, oracle, mysql. Lately I came up to
Derby because I think it's so cool and easily embeddable into my system,
but. I am getting a little lost not being a super expert in database
internals. What happens is that read and write work perfectly as long as
they work separately. As soon as there is at least one user session which
tries to scroll through the data, the inserts stop working. I have lock
timeouts and other scary things... My question would be, - why this same
scenario works out of the box with other databases and how do I make derby
also work, I really want to support it in my application. Any help or hint
is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.