be careful while using it it does not effect performence where as in mysql and others it does derby will retrive all rows but return only what you set through setMaxRows  had a similar problem  i was using limit to get only a single row in mysql query returned instantly with a single row but with derby it took around 15 seconds it was reading everything if you set setMaxRows or not. my work around was read them 1000 at a time cache in the application then use them one by one.

Nurullah Akkaya

nurullah.akkaya@blooby.com

Blooby.com

Tel: +1 (256) 270 4091