In Derby the your given db name is the same as the directory name. So if your database named "myDb" is in c:\a, then the directory structure will show as c:\a\MyDb and if you want that db (here MyDB) to be backed up in a:\d derby will back up the whole MyDB (will not rename to "d"). So your backed up db will be inc:\d and the directory structure for the backupdb will be c:\d\MyDb. If this is not clear, more information is provided here

http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.2/adminguide/

Thanks
Manjula