There are derby classes providing access to the Database. ij uses some of those classes. True progrmatically one can use derby, there can be more sql like interfaces driven by these classes or JDBC.
SQuirreL SQL Client is one of the GUI aplications which is an alternate to the non visual ij tool.
See http://db.apache.org/derby/integrate/SQuirreL_Derby.html for details.

-hemant

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 Ryan P Bobko wrote :
>On Monday 26 March 2007 18:22, Laura Stewart wrote:
> > The text in the Getting Started Guide says:
> > "You can use the ij tool to connect to a Derby database."
> >
> > The word "can" implies that there is another way to connect to a Derby
> > database. Is there?  If not, we need to remove the word "can" from this
> > sentence.
>
>I'd say "can" is appropriate there. If you connect to the database
>programmatically, you don't use ij.
>
>ry
>
>--
>Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat
>you with their experience.

mih