db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Raymond Kroeker" <raym...@raykroeker.com>
Subject Re: Network Client/Server BLOB
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:41:38 GMT
Hello Kristian,

  Thank you for your reply.  In client/server mode the derby server
currently uses no jvm memory settings, however the derby client application
uses -Xms512m -Xmx1024m.

  The same blob is being written to and retreived from the database in both
the client and server software.  I have had successfull attempts at storing
5 x 100MB blobs then had an out of memory error within the derby network
server when retreiving a 12MB blob.

  1.  My blobs vary in size.  Up to 100MB has worked, 12MB had a failure in
the network server.
  2.  I insert them using  ps.setBinaryStream(1, stream, length); and
retreive them using rs.getBlob("CONTENT").getBinaryStream().  Both workflows
are issued from the database client.
  3.  The heap size for the derby server is default, the heap size of the
derb client is -Xms512m -Xmx1024m.

  I too have had no issue with respect to the embedded client, and my out of
memory error occured within the network server so I am confused a little.

Raymond

On 3/27/07, Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waagan@sun.com> wrote:

> Raymond Kroeker wrote:
> > I have encountered some entries in the mailing list suggesting that
> > large BLOB content is not supported when using the
> > network client/server.  By not supported I mean either the client or the
> > server run out of memory when the content is
> > sufficiently large.
> >
> > My own tests on version 10.2.2.0 <http://10.2.2.0> suggest that this is
> > not the case; however I wanted to know if anyone can provide a
> > confirmation one way or another of this.  Thanks.
>
> Hello Raymond,
>
> From your mail I understand that you are able to use sufficiently large
> BLOBs for you purpose with Derby 10.2.2.0 in client/server mode.
> Would you mind telling us a little more about your use of Derby?
>
> Quite some work has been done to remove problems with LOB handling in
> Derby, and more work is being done as we speek (implementing
> LOCATOR-based handling of LOBs).
> That said, I'm not sure we are exactly where we want to be in Derby
> 10.2.2.0.
>
> A few questions;
>    1) How big are your BLOBs?
>    2) Do you both insert and retrieve them from/on the client?
>    3) What are your JVM settings? (heap size)
>

> As far as confirmation goes, I have tested embedded earlier with 2GB-1
> LOBs without out-of-memory problems. I am under the impression that
> stream data still has to be materialized on the client before it is sent
> to the server.
> Can anyone else confirm this?
> Will the LOCATOR-work fix the issue?
>

> regards,