db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Mamta Satoor" <msat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Possible to configure Derby for case-insensitive compares by default?
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2007 22:58:52 GMT
Hi Jon,

Currently, you can't configure Derby to do case insensitive searches on
CHAR/VARCHAR. Using LOWER() function is a possible solution but as you
suspected, this will have a performance hit because Derby does not support
functional indexes. So, eventhough you might have an index on the column,
the LOWER() function on that column will not use the index on column. I
think DERBY-455 is the Jira entry for functional index support in Derby.

Mamta
ps There is effort going on to support language based ordering as part of
DERBY-1478 but that probably won't help you with case insensitive search.